As all members of the Raptors Dance Pak know, a red lip on game day is an absolute given! And what’s more? The iconic look of a stark, beautiful lip seems to never go out of style! In this edition of Make Up For Ever Tips, Jasmine recreates a flawless red lip and shares all her tips on how to achieve the RDP statement lipstick look on your own.
“The instant she saw the letter she squinted her eyes and bent her lips in a tough tiny smile that advanced her age immeasurably. “Darling,” she instructed me, “would you reach in the drawer there and give me my purse. A girl doesn’t read this sort of thing without her lipstick.”
-Truman Capote, Breakfast at Tiffany’s
Question: What do Marilyn Monroe, Gwen Stefani and Nikki Minaj all have in common?
Answer: All of their “looks” hinge on a statement lip.
For the 2012-2013 Toronto Raptors season, a statement lip brings a fresh, youthful, unifying quality to all the lovely ladies and their individual skin tones. With the help of RDP veteran Nina and the amazing products from MAKE UP FOR EVER, here’s how we achieve the RDP Statement Lip:
1) Powder around the edges of the lips using a sponge. A great product to use is MAKE UP FOR EVER Pro Finish Multi-Use Powder Foundation. This will help to minimize any uneven skin tone and will make your lip colour longer wearing.
2) Using a sharpened liner, line the peaks of your upper lip (we love MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Lip Waterproof Lipliner Pencil in 8C). Starting in the centre, moving upward and outward. Then, starting from the outer edge of the lip, work your liner inwards meeting the peak.
This means not attempting to line lips in one fluid motion. It is far easy to use short strokes to slowly make your way around the lip line, correcting symmetry as needed.
3) Starting in the centre of the lower lip, line the edges moving outward. Switch direction and, starting at the outer corner, line moving inwards.
TIP: I like to make lips look fuller so, in general, I always tip my liner slightly outward along the edge. This means that, although the liner still follows the natural lip line, it appears slightly above the natural lip line.
4) Using a lip brush, apply lipstick (like MAKE UP FOR EVER Lip Brush 3N and MAKE UP FOR EVER Rouge Artist Intense in 21) from the outer edge of the lips working your way in.
Lipstick application with a lip brush has two benefits: 1) it makes lipstick last longer because you do not over apply and have product sliding all over and 2) it helps to create a professional finish because you can create crisp lines.
5) At this point, you can go back along your edge with your lip liner to further correct and create a perfectly symmetrical mouth. A great tip for creating a truly professional lip is to clean up along the edges of your lip with a liquid concealer and flat brush (MAKE UP FOR EVER Full Cover Concealer and MAKE UP FOR EVER Eye Shadow Brush 5N).
6) Finally, nothing makes your pout perfected like a little bit of highlight. Using a flat brush and a shimmer shadow a shade lighter than skin tone (like MAKE UP FOR EVER Star Powder in Iridescent Pale Peach 947 (pale skin) or Iridescent Beige 926 (darker skin) and MAKE UP FOR EVER Eye Shadow Brush 5N), add a highlight along the cupids bow (aka the peak) of the lips.
There you have it, a perfect pout in a statement colour. Thanks Nina!